I don't know exactly what "Lovism" means, I am pretty sure it is not really a word, but i have seen it sprayed on telephone poles in all different parts of Nepal. Somehow, I think the "word' encapsulates the experience of Nepal. If love could have an "ism" attached to it, Nepal would be the place to make that happen.
And so, we are nearing the end of our time here. With heavy hearts we will fly away on April 8th, just a few short days from now. Although of course we are looking forward to Thailand, I can't say we have the same feelings about leaving Nepal as we did about leaving India. In fact, i am quite certain we will return. Matt has unfinished business in the mountains, and for me...well, let's put it this way: recently I read a description of a woman from Britain entering the chaos that is India. She leapt into a taxi and soaked in all the insanity, the smells, the sights- and in a place where many people have reported feeling anxious and unsettled, she reported feeling quite the opposite: she felt instantly at home. That is exactly how I would describe Nepal for myself- an instant home away from home.
It is hard to write about highlights, since the whole darn thing was a highlight, but I can tell you about some of my most favorite Nepali quotes:
1) On the last night of our trek, Jake, Matt, and I landed at this fantastic little place in the village of Gurung. On the menu they had a certain kind of bread, called "Gurnung Bread", listed below a more typical offering on Nepali menus, "Tibetan Bread". A British woman sitting near us asked the Innkeeper to describe the difference between Gurung Bread and Tibetan Bread, to which he replied:
"It is very, very similar. It's the same." Followed by a uproarious and jolly "I just got busted" laugh. (for anyone who has had the pleasure of being in the company of my dear friend Dennis, the Innkeeper was much like a Nepali Dennis. Fantastic! Made everyone feel at home right away! And that laugh!)
2) "Your elephant has arrived!" Spoken to us by the manager of the hotel where we stayed while visiting the Royal Chitwan National Park. It sounds absurd, of course- but indeed, our elephant had arrived to take us on a jungle safari!
3) This last one is not exactly a quote, but more of a statement I suppose. Matt saw it written on a cheesy poster displayed in one of the inns on his latest trek. He took a picture of it for me to enjoy, because it really does appeal to my sarcastic sense of humor:
"Home is the place where, if you have to go there, they have to take you in."
Remember Jack Handey from Saturday Night Live? Kinda sounds like something he would say, doesn't it?
Beyond the quotes, there is also the advertising to consider. I managed to narrow this category down to two. Both of these ads are seen regularly, and most often painted on the sides of houses/stores;
1) "White Mischief" Vodka
and my favorite...
2) Shaka Laka BOOM! Instant noodles
I didn't try either of these creatively named products, but I am quite sure neither would disappoint!
I have tried to illustrate all the things that make me feel this strong affinity with Nepal, and in a recent email exchange with my dad, I remembered one random detail that really adds to the affinity. As many of you know, I am a pretty big fan of basketball- the NBA in particular, and the Detroit Pistons to be very specific. Well, as it turns out, so are some Nepalis. On the first trek we took-I think the second night, we arrived at a very small village in the foothills. (Foothills by Nepali standards, mountains by any other standard). We walked into a building to use the internet of all things, and what did we see? Two posters: One of LeBron James (they can have it), and one of the infamous bad boy, and now Detroit Piston, Allen Iverson!!! Aww yeah!
And, even more impressively, out behind this building was a basketball court. This may not seem like a super big deal until you consider the fact that everything that is brought into the town is brought in on foot. There is no road for vehicles. That means someone, or a group of someones were excited enough about the beautiful sport of basketball to haul in the materials necessary to build a court. Also, someone loved Allen (and LeBron) enough to carry in those posters! Now that is dedication.
Perhaps I should throw in one final detail. Many of the utility trucks are wildly adorned with multi-colored paints, Hindu gods, and sayings. The most common English saying emblazoned on these trucks is: "I love my Nepal".
Well, I have to whole-heartedly agree. I love your Nepal, too!
Namaste!
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"Home is the place where, if you have to go there, they have to take you in."- Robert Frost in Death of a Hired Man and it goes with the other famous line from that poem, "Home is the thing you somehow haven't to deserve." It's weird how some high school things stay with you. And like the posters I guess it had to be loved enough to be imported. So Nepal is my favorite too. I think I'll skip India but go with the love my Nepal recs. if I ever get the chance. Thanks again for the blogorama. Much love, Matt's Mom
"Home is the PLACE you somehow haven't to deserve." Of course. It was really bothering me that I wrote that wrong and didn't know how to edit it. Anyway there it is spoken in the poem by the less cynical wife character. That's it. Love, Momagain
Post a Comment