Saturday, March 14, 2009

Quick Update: Nepal!

Hello! Well, we arrived in Nepal on the 7th and have already fallen completely in love. I can't believe the stark difference between Nepal and India. It is quieter, more peaceful, cleaner, and the terrain is fabulous. We hooked up with our dear friend Jake in Kathmandu and headed out immediately to Pokhora, the other "big" city in Nepal. After one night there we started our five day trek thought the Annapurna range- part of the Himalayas. We hiked on average about five hours per day. We stopped for lunch and then at night we would stay n small villages along the way. The accommodations ranged from pretty basic to downright fancy! Each town had its own personality and its own set of amazing mountain views. Needless to say, Matt was over the moon with his excitement! I was huffing and puffing up those mountains, but you know what? I made it, and I loved it!!!! My feet aren't happy campers at the moment, but they'll get over it! They better, because we might just go again! We'll see. We just got back yesterday, and spent the day today touring around Pokhora. We went to the International Mountaineering Museum (again- Matt? Yup, pretty excited), and then we hiked up to the World Peace Pagoda. The pagoda is a 115 foot high stupa dedicated to the four important sites in Buddha's life: birth, first sermon, enlightenment, and death. It is a beautiful monument well worth the hike, even with my sore feet!
So, Nepal is pretty much perfect so far, except for one minor detail: electricity. For some unknown reason, it is only available about four hours a day. This, as you can imagine, makes internet access a little challenging. SO, I am going to apologize in advance for a decrease in blog entries this month. I will try to report as much as I can, but if you don't hear anything for a bit, just know that Matt and I are loving every minute here!
SO, tune in and I will update you as I can!
p.s. Ben, rest in peace. I am a better person for knowing you.

1 comment:

Dan Courtney said...

Wish I was witchyous...

Too bad there weren't seven extra frenchman on that vomit train... ya coulda used them to wipe up the rank

I have loved reading your travel log... keep up the good work kids... very jealous of your travels... Oh, I went to the Kemah Boardwalk today with two seven year olds and a six year old... Its this quaint little village between houston and galveston that houses this wonderous world of carnaval rides and overpriced popcorn... you can check it out when you get some time, and are bored of your lives in distant lands at www.houstoncourtneys.posterous.com

love and miss you kids... be safe

tio danimal