Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Holy Cow!

Beyond all the gazillions of people, the trash piled in the streets, the fantastic smells of the amazing foods, the sounds of honking buses and temple music, there lies one more thing to overload your senses in India: the cows.
Yup, they are everywhere! I was naively thinking I could start a "Cow Watch" in place of the Alaskan "Moose Watch", but, um...I'd be up to about EIGHT BILLION by now!!! I first spotted one from the bus window on the way out of Chennai. We were still very much in the heart of the city, and there it was, a big ol' cow, walking down what is essentially an interstate. I didn't quite believe my eyes until I saw another one, and then another one....and then...well,, you get the idea. They're everywhere! I have to say it is pretty much the most bizarre thing to see a cow ( or several) in the bustle of an urban center. Matt and I were walking to dinner last night when the absurdity hit him- he burst into laughter and had a hard time pulling it together as he kept saying through the giggles, "This country is insane!". Needless to say, the cows in front of us weren't amused at all. To them, it was just another day.
NOTE: I have much, much more to write and not a lot of time or ability to write at the moment. In about a week we are going to stop in one town for a few days and I will get caught up then. Maybe we can figure out a way to post some pictures, too. Not sure about that one yet. Anyway, thanks for being patient!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg, I am laughing my A** off over here!! Seriously. I would love to see some pix of these cows in the road if you can manage it... lol

@:)

Anonymous said...

I once saw a huge pig, like one you would see at a fair on I-5 in Everett so I can totally relate to your trip to India so far. Keep the posts coming. Jen and I are tuning in for more!

Darren and Jen