Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's a Sari State of Affairs...

I know, I know- what a horrible pun. I couldn't help it. I am sari! Oh, goodness, there I go again. Somebody stop me!
But seriously...throughout our travels in India, there have been some ups and some downs. (more on that later) One thing that has remained constant, though, is the beautiful saris worn by women everywhere here. I do believe I have seen every color and color combination known to man in the last two weeks. Honestly, if there is another color out there- well, it has to be from a planet other than Earth. The saris come in many different materials, too- from cotton to rayon to beautiful silks. Some are plain and "reserved" in appearance, while others sparkle with sequins and beads that catch light in the bright sun. Sometimes, on the bus, I look out the window and play a game in my head- I recite the name that spells out each letter of the rainbow...ROY G. BIV. (Does everyone remember that from gradeschool art class? Each letter of the name represents a color in the rainbow spectrum: Red, Orange, Yellow...you get the picture). Anyway, I look for the sari to match as I recite Roy G. BIV. I have been able to complete it, without any trouble, each and every time.
Other times, I imagine I am embarking on some sort of , um, ground-snorkeling. I watch and walk (instead of swim), waiting for a school of ladies in saris to pass me by...and then, just as when snorkeling, I observe, respectfully, from a distance, and marvel in the beauty before me.
I propose sari wearing in the U.S. Why not? They look very comfortable, they are loose, (don't have to worry about those extra pounds), and they make every lady look stunning as far as I can see. What do you say, ladies of the U.S.? Shall we start a fashion trend on this year's red carpet? I'm game if you are!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your likening of the school of tropical fish to a group of women in sari's. Its something i've never thought of & a perfect description!