We made it! Welcome to first official blog post from India.
Matt and I got in Chennai at about 3:30 in the morning yesterday- 5pm Eastern Standard Time. Needless to say we felt a little whacked -out from the long flights and the time difference. But I must say (Gene, this is for you) the Boeing 777 flight from D.C. to Doha, Qatar on Qatar Airlines was the best flight I have ever been on. So comfy! So many luxuries! Matt was joking that we were like the Beverly Hillbillies on vacation- ya know, getting really excited about things like the little bag with socks and toothpaste provided for each passenger, and the individual DVD screens with a gazillion movie and TV choices, including Urban Cowboy!!! (Yes, I was watching Urban Cowboy when we landed in Doha! Why not? I am Sissy, after all!!!)
So we didn't exactly have hotel reservations in Chennai and thought it best to sit for a bit in the airport until it was light out. That was a long sit, ugh. At 6:30am we ventured out into the world and found a hotel on the second try- not bad! We slept all day, got up and ate. Oh, and now for a commerical break:
THE FOOD HERE IS AMAZING!!!!
OK, thanks. I am sure I will be saying that many more times. It can't really be said enough. I am in vegetarian heaven!!! All the restaurants say "Veg", "Pure Veg" , or "non-veg": it is opposite world from the USA. You have to LOOK for meat here, instead of the usual search for veggies that has been my experience for the last 20 years. I feel like a Queen here!!! :)
Anyway, I digress. We ate and had a beer- in a bar that had exactly one woman. Me. Ooops. The travel book said nothing about women in bars...? Oh, well. Back to the hotel and more sleep in an attempt to reset our clocks.
Basically, nothing too exciting to report. We have been here 27 hours and have slept about 20 of it. I think today the real adventure begins.
More in a few days to a week, when I have more to report. Bye for now!
Friday, January 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
WOW!! I remember when i went to Italy how we pretty much slept for those first 24ish hours but i am sure now you will be energized and ready for adventures! And i can't wait to hear about them! I am glad you guys got there safe and sound. Have fun and enjoy the food while you can!!
Samantha
... as far as the "watch" corner... maybe cow watch?? Don't they have cattle just roaming around out there or is that a silly rumour?? lol
Post a Comment