Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kenai Peninsula Fair!

Since we are always in search of something new and different, Matt and I decided to take a trip to the local Kenai Peninsula fair last weekend. It was held in Ninilchik, a town much smaller than the one we live in, located about 45 minutes south of us. Since it was rainy- or maybe just because, (?) there were only about 30 people there. I might be exaggerating. The main reason we went, really, is that we heard that this band called "Southpaw" was playing. "Southpaw" is from Nebraska, although the fiddle player is an Alaskan. The name "Southpaw" comes from the banjo player, a lefty. Of course Matt had to check this out, since he is a Southpaw too! I am trying to post some video of this band and the other events below, but for now here's some pictures:

There he is, Southpaw himself! After they played, we went up to the stage and talked to the band a bit. They were so thankful we were there- poor guys, for most of it we were the only ones watching! They gave us a free Southpaw CD as a token of appreciation. The banjo player was excited to meet Matt and said he had a goal to meet a left-handed banjo player in every state. So far he had met one in New York, Idaho, and now Matt in Alaska. Lefty power unite!
While we were watching the band, I overheard an announcement from the Rodeo side of the fair that bull-riding was coming up. I was pretty darn excited about that! As many of you know, Urban Cowboy, which is a love story centered around bull-riding, is my all time favorite movie. (Shout out to the Michigan ladies!!!) It's even where I got my once popular nickname, Sissy. 
Another awesome Friday night on the 'ol Kenai Peninsula! 
Stay tuned for some video, and check out all the other posts below- I think we are all caught up now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! Your pics of Alaska are so totally awesome. I hope you continue to enjoy the adventure!

Love,
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Did you and Bud wear matching shirts to the rodeo? Better yet, was it a PRISON rodeo? That would have been truly authentic!