I have to admit, I have been a bit distracted by the the disturbing political story I see unfolding here in Alaska. While she may be a passing fancy in the Lower 48, Sarah Palin is here to stay. She has been on the cover of the local paper and the lead story on the local news every day since she became McCain's running mate. At the gift store in town, the marquee reads: "Our Mama Beats Obama"- T-shirts inside! I saw these same t-shirts being sold at several stores while I was in Anchorage yesterday. My friends Jann and Pat spent the last few days of their Alaskan trip in Denali. My friend Jann told me that she was in a roadside gift shop when she overheard the owner announcing, "If there is anyone in here that does not support Sarah Palin, you can just go ahead and leave right now!". Yesterday on the local news the "lipstick on a pig" comment made by Barack Obama was the top story, and boy oh boy did it have a slant. The news commentator actually said: "The Republican Party is asking for an apology for Obama's remarks against Governor Palin, but Obama just won't budge." My goodness.
And, of course, there is the little incident here on my blog. Somebody crashed my blog, decided they didn't like my views, and made a highly conservative comment basically discounting my blog post in its entirety.
Sarah, Sarah, Sarah: she's everywhere, and frankly I am sick and tired of it.
So, how to remedy this situation? I guess I could turn this blog into a big complaint about the political atmosphere that we are now entrenched in, or I could do that on my own time, away from this blog, and go back to showing you what you came here for: pictures and stories of our adventures in beautiful Alaska!
I choose the latter, but I can't make any promises. I am a political junkie at heart, and I have very strong feelings about this election...so I might slip back into my ways and spend a bit more time on the topic. But for now, let's get back to the beauty and the wonder of this great state of Alaska. Besides, the trees and the mountains and the lakes don't care about all these political games!
To restart the fun, please note a new little feature on the side of the blog entitled "Moose Watch". On the way to drop off Matt at work this morning, we were lucky enough to encounter three huge moose having a morning salad right on our street! I decided it was time to start keeping track of how many moose I see while here, and I will document that on the "Moose Watch". I noted that I have seen 13 so far: that is two on the way up here, two on the side of the road one night on the way back from dinner with friends, two in front of Matt's clinic while picking him up one day, two in a yard while driving around the neighborhood with Matt, two on the side of road in Homer, and three this morning. That's 13 so far, and we have been here only two months! WOW! The above picture is one I took in Homer, the only time I had a camera with me during these multiple moose sightings.
Thanks for being patient with all my political woes. More pictures and tales of adventure are on the way!
No comments:
Post a Comment