skip to main | skip to sidebar
fleischmannandme

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Kennecott

After exploring the small town of McCarthy, we signed up to take a van up to another, even MORE remote town called Kennecott. The town is an old mining settlement about 25 minutes further into the mountains. Here is a picture of the elaborate mining shaft built into the side of the hill:
Here are some of the buildings that have collapsed over time- there was a major flood in 1969 that helped the erosion along:
"Main Street"-note the big mountain at the end of the street!
Neither of us could believe how beautiful the day was. Look at the contrast of that yellow fall tree against the snow-covered mountains in the background.
Posted by fleischmannandme at 11:47 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

MOOSE WATCH! ...in India?

TOTAL MOOSE: 38
Well, I highly doubt we will be seeing any moose in India....so, stay tuned for some other kind of wildlife "watch". I will have to survey the scene there before deciding which animal to choose....so far I am thinking "Monkey Watch!". :)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2008 (67)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ▼  September (19)
      • Alaska State Fair
      • And now for a brief political interlude...
      • Back to the fair...
      • Visitors!
      • Visitors, Part 2
      • OK, now I am irritated...
      • More posts coming...as soon as I figure out why pu...
      • Alright, let's have some fun again! (and introduci...
      • I didn't count this moose....
      • The Fjords
      • Shasta's Corner: Session Six
      • Jen and Matt's Alaskan Vacation
      • The Road to McCarthy
      • Further down McCarthy Road...
      • Matt and Jen's Vacation, continued: McCarthy
      • Kennecott
      • Mt. Blackburn
      • Avocado on the Moon
      • Our Last Stop: Matanuska Glacier Cabin
    • ►  October (14)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  December (5)
  • ►  2009 (43)
    • ►  January (13)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  May (6)

About Me

My photo
fleischmannandme
Matt and Jen moved to Soldotna, Alaska on July 15th, 2008. Now we are on to India...Here's the story...
View my complete profile